August 18, 2014

Hello!

Wow this week flew by!
On Saturday Paraguay celebrated Dia del Niño. Apparently, in Paraguay's past they were fighting a war with Brazil. Paraguay's troops had been depleted substantially, but instead of giving in to Brazil, the Paraguay king armed a lot of the country's children (between 6 and 8 years old) with armor and weapons and sent them out to fight. That day hundreds of children died, so now they hold Dia del Niño to honor all the children who fought. We ate a lot of cakes and snacks at the Church in the Primary activity. It was lots of fun, but at the end of the day the story behind the holiday is still upsetting.
The great thing about being here is that nobody uses recipes or measuring cups or anything exact in the kitchen. I'm learning how to cook from all my companions and the members. Hopefully when I get home I'll be able to survive on more than just the quesadillas and PBJ sandwiches I used to eat all the time at BYU!
Today we went to the Ruins in here in Trinidad. All of our Mission Zone (about 10 companionships) went together. It was super interesting and amazing. The ruins are from an old church and colony of Guaranis-Jesuits or something like that. It was hard to keep all the facts and stories straight considering everything here is in Spanish, and my vocabulary is mostly limited to Gospel-related topics haha. But it was still a very fun afternoon!
Lately I have been taking a lot of comfort in the scripture Isaiah 52:7 "How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth." We walk a lot here. A LOT. And with all the walking come some pretty fantastic blisters and callouses. But the message we carry is a lot more important than some unsightly feet!
Love you all! Hope you have a great week!

Hermana Simmons



My companion (Hermana Garcia) and me!



my "mom" and "grandma" haha 3 generations! (my trainer Hna Tapia and her trainer Hna Crump)




the old chapel (it´s huge)




just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment