July 14, 2014

hola hola

The World Cup is finally all over! Although I am genuinely disappointed that we didn´t win (Vamos Argentina!), I am glad that we didn´t have to deal with all of the craziness of the celebrations that would have happened if we had won. Even though we lost, it was still too dangerous for us to be able to leave our apartment Sunday night.

We had a lesson the other night with a man named Estevan. We didn´t have much time to speak with him, so Hna Gunter and I had decided to just do a quick spiritual thought and then leave to visit someone else, because we didn´t really think that Estevan was interested. But during the opening prayer, the thought entered my mind that I really did want to help Estevan and share a spiritual thought that would impact him and touch his heart. Immediately the idea of sharing the story of Alma the Younger, and how he and his friends did all sorts of terrible things, but God still loved them and saw their potential. Through Jesus Christ, Alma was able to change and become a better person. As my companion and I shared this story, Estevan began to tear up. Then he full on began to cry! There we were, two young sister missionaries listening as this grown man sobbed and told us how he was sick of getting drunk with his friends. He wanted to change but didn´t know how. Because of his past mistakes, his ex girlfriend wouldn't let him visit or even see his daughter. we testified that Estevan could change if he relied on Christ and we explained that God wants the best for all of His children, even if they haven´t always been obedient. Estevan ended our discussion with a powerful prayer, and then we went on our way. It was such a spiritual experience, and I really realized for the first time after that lesson that I ENJOY being a missionary. I like helping people learn of Christ and see how they too can feel their Savior´s love and repent.

On a related note, we have also started teaching Mariela and Fernando´s family. Their two youngest daughters are very interested and progressing quickly. It´s amazing to see the change that has taken place in Mariela and Fernando both! How much more love there is in their home! How happy they are!

Totally random, but Hna Gunter and I love blowing everybody´s minds here with American desserts. We made some chocolate chip cookies to share with some members, and everyone was asking for the recipe. The same thing happened when we made no-bake cookies for a branch activity. They don´t really have anything other than dulce de leche, sweet breads, and flan here.

I want to end with the scripture we shared with Estevan :) "My soul hath been redeemed from the gall of bitterness and bonds of iniquity. I was in the darkest abyss; but now I behold the marvelous light of God. My soul was racked with eternal torment; but I am snatched, and my soul is pained no more."
 
I love you all and hope you have a fantastic week!
Hna Simmons

P.S.  Oh my word those camping pictures look so fun! im starting to realize here that when i finish my mission, camping wont be so terrible because by now i'm kind of used to "camping"ish conditions. Especially seeing that some people here really do just literally "camp" for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment